Tuesday, December 15, 2015

JCB Math Team News

This year the James C. Bush Elementary School Bloodhounds started a math team. The Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics sponsors math contests for teams in grades 3-8 and high school. Schools can participate in the contests with grade level teams of up to 5 students and/or as individuals. For our first year, we chose to participate as teams. Students with above grade level scores on the MAPs math tests taken in the fall were invited to participate. To get ready for the first competition, students practiced twice a week with grade level coaches during recess. The scores of the top two teams in each grade level will be submitted to the ICTM to compete against other elementary schools. Results should be posted shortly after the winter break. Our next competitions will be in February and March.

The first contest of the year was held this week during recess. As a reward for their participation, students were treated to a pizza lunch. I overheard one student say, "I get to do math AND have pizza!! This is the best day of my life!" I loved watching all of the students demonstrate problem solving skills, collaborative skills, and outstanding math skills. They were truly excited about being a part of this group.

Congratulations to our JCB Mathletes!

Third Grade

Third Grade

Fourth Grade
Fourth Grade





Fifth Grade
Fifth Grade

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic event and I am so glad my daughter gets to be a part of it! I was told by some of the kids that my daughter is "going to state" for team and for individual competitions. I haven't heard anything from the school on this as of yet. Will there be anything coming home on this??

    ReplyDelete